Hannah Missionary Photo

Hannah Missionary Photo

Week 14 - A Portuguese Proposal...

Alright This weeek has been alright... 

Me and Sister Hayes have been working our tails off this week. 
Remember the guy (Amadeo) I talked about last week who I said was drunk when we went and saw him and he came to church the next day??

Well he wasn´t! He was just so excited that we were there to see him.... when we found this out we so shocked ha. He hasn´t had a friend or visiters to come in see him in a really long time and thatºs why he was acting the way he was because he was excited that he had friends coming to see him. What a sweet thing. Amadeo is such a great guy.. 
He reminds me kind of a child. He doesn´t understand everything we say or other Portuguese people say because he´s from New Guinea. There they speak a different african creol language than what we have here in Portugal. But he trusts me and sister Hayes and keeps every commitment we ask him to keep. 
He says that he now knows that he can see his family again and he´s found Christ in his life. It reminds me of John 17:3

This is life eternal that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 

His life has been so hard but by allowing us to mold him as the intstruments of God he has found true happiness in his life. I have witnessed this as I´ve been teaching him more and more and now we´re preparing him for baptism this Saturday

He is always simply smiling when we´re around and carries the true light of Christ. He reminds me of the kids I would play with at Primary Childrens hospital. They didn´t know it but even though I was there to help them, they helped me in so many ways. The spirit of a child is incomparable to anything. Even look to the New Testament teaching of the Savior. Pure little children are our role models of humility and teachableness. 

verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted and become as little children ye shall not enter into the kingdom of Heaven. Whosever therefore shall Humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3-4 

I can tell you that Amadeo has mastered this and has humbled and made himself as the teaching of the Savior says "Humble youself even as a child" and is such a huge example to me. I am greatly honored and blessed that Heavenly Father has given him to us to teach! 

I love all of you so much!! 

my funny story of the week... these old Portuguese men tried to marry me and Sister Hayes this week. I don´t quite fully know all of the Portuguese vocab especially when it comes to someone asking me to marry them but Sister Hayes got a kick out of it. 

Oh! also.. me and sister Hayes go to Disneyland everyday I don´t know if you knew and we go on the Indiana Jones ride on this thing called Portuguese busses.... Did you know that in Portugal they don´t have speed limits???....

Yeahh... it gets a little crazy sometimes on the buses. this week I fell into the arms of a portuguese man because the bus slammed on the breaks to fast and I wasn´t hanging on to a handle. 

The look on the mans face was priceless. good stuff. 

Love you all!!!! 

Com amor,

Sister Baird

No comments:

Post a Comment